Lazy

I am fundamentally a lazy person by nature. I like to sleep late when I can. I enjoy long meals with lots of conversation and lots of different courses. I like user friendly computers and computer systems, that don't need direct management. I am a procrastinator. My natural state is one of repose.

Conversely, I dislike having my time wasted. I expect and appreciate efficiency, and endeavor to make myself more efficient. It isn't that I want a shortcut for everything, but anything that has a shortcut is often preferred to things without one. Timesavers are generally my friend.

Both parts work to form a whole and I end up living my life with in a fine set of contradictions.

I like to dye raw fiber, spin yarn from it, and then make a garment or piece of textile art using the fiber I have spun. The only slower, less efficient, more time consuming way to do this process would be to raise the fiber beasts and shear the fiber and process it myself. Surprise! This is actually a process I can imagine myself doing.

I like printmaking. Printmaking requires a fairly circuitous process that starts with a graphic image of some description. Be it a drawing, photograph, collage, or text one must then translate the tones and shapes. The image is inverted onto a secondary surface and redrawn, stenciled or carved with a reductive process that generally takes ages to finish. The finished surface is then not the finished object, but the means by which the terminal images are created. The final product is then an image, not unlike the impetus for the whole process that was just undertaken, only it can now be replicated many times over.

Just outlining these two modes of artistic process I am left with the feeling that I may be a bit mentally unstable. Crazy even. So this leaves me with the question, what is your nature? What modes of expression or activity do you engage in that contradict your nature?

Comments