How Social is "Social Media"


As a member of the beginning of "Generation X" or as my friend Tom once wrote "The Voyeur Generation" I feel I am at the very beginning of the culture that watched others act out their lives. This was new and strange. It had been that entertainment was proscribed, meaning that it fell into certain categories that were clear and sensical. At the start of the 90's we had reality TV, email and the start of the mobile device industry. By the time I got my first email account we were giving birth to digital natives, children who would never know a life without nearly instant connectivity to the far side of the globe. Now as I teach the second wave of digital citizens, and post Y2K babies, I am alternately fascinated and horrified by technological advances in digital communication and the social consequences and opportunities these products provide. I think social media is one of the MOST interesting pieces of technology to emerge at the beginning of the 21st century and I am fascinated to see what you "Centurions" and future generations will do with it. Creating art in the post digital age as an analog girl is always an adventure and that is as far as my planning has gone. However, my work might be to document things on Intsagram and start a Snapchat account with the sole intention of creating art. Smitty's Insta... @smittygrl , Snapchat to follow...

Comments