Concentration

I am a perpetual maker. If I am not creating something in the studio at school there are other works going on at home. I never work in just one media either. I usually have multiple works in progress at any given moment. Currently I have several one of a kind jewelry pieces in various states of creation on my bench, two different original designs for knitting projects, a couple of unfinished paintings and literally thousands of pictures on my computer and in my phone. The pictures I take are like a digital sketchbook, some might be "art", all are a record of my experience of my life. I have ideas jotted down on scraps of paper saved in journals and sketchbooks that weren't available at the time inspiration struck. I have notes on my phone about things that make me think, ideas for assignments for you, my students. Because I am conscious of how all of these things are connected and that it is important to remember those moments, and to work on those 5 or 6 different ideas at once and to keep storing the things that move my creative juices I can access my ideas, build on them and use them easily.
I hope that you, my students will learn to catalog, caretake and access your inspirations and creative thoughts. If you always have an idea in reserve, when an assignment comes you can find a way to bend it or alter it to make it fit the project. Think big thoughts or little thoughts, but use your thoughts as constructively as you can.
My concentration centered around the Jackalope, an imaginary animal that I consider my spirit animal. once I finish my third piece I will be working out my bigger fourth piece. I found that in working with this imagery I was inspired by the idea of the creation myth. The Jackalope story is not particularly clear. Its iconography is based more on the image than some story of how it came to be. In the pieces I have been making I am going to offer several thoughts about this idea of origins and maybe come to some conclusion, or maybe just enjoy the exploration. I look forward to sharing it with you all.

Comments