Sources Post

In my last post I mentioned that for our first blog post we would be sharing "...some book, tool, place, technique, medium or thing that you love." 
To be more specific these "things" or "thing" should be what inspires you most. It can be little things or one big specific thing. What I would most like for you to do is to explore these things.

What is it that draws you to them or (ironically enough) makes you want to draw them?

How did you first encounter these sources of inspiration?

Was there an "Aha!" moment when something clicked? Or was it the kind of thing that embedded itself in your subconscious over time through repeated exposure or interaction? Did you just like the way drawing made you feel when you first started doing it? Why?

* This assignment is about discovering, examining, and uncovering WHY you make Art.

There is no right answer here, just your answer.

For me, at about 2 and a half times your age I have had many many sources of inspiration. Thinking back to high school I would have to say my sources were directly related to the past. I loved Art Deco architecture and architectural ornament...


Vintage anything...


Marilyn...


and James Dean...



My fascination with things from the past had as much to do with the way these things and people looked, as with a nostalgia for a bygone era. The fanciful and decorative nature of certain types of architecture left me wishing to see the inside of beautifully designed buildings. Gawking at these structures and their ornamented and interesting facades and forms as they caught the silvery light of morning or the golden honey light of dusk, I would imagine what they were like when they were new. I was fascinated by the shadows that fell across the wonderfully curving rotundas and the reflection off of the shimmering glass and metal. It was, in fact, the architectural ornament of New York City that inspired the design of one of the first pieces of jewelry I made at the age of 14.

 I loved the classy way women looked in an age when gloves were the standard for being well dressed, not just for keeping your hands warm in the winter. I adored the elaborate accessorizing that was expected when your purse, pocketbook or bag, had to not only match your outfit but the time of day and season in which it was worn. 

I just couldn't get enough of Marilyn's tragic glamour and James Dean's "Too fast to live, too young to die..." sex appeal and general bad boy persona. 

All these things affected what kinds of artworks I made. Of course there were tributes to the icons of film. I completed a 60"x60" polychromatic image of James Dean from the film still in the upper left corner of his collage presented here. The tragedy of dying young and misunderstood led me to reflect those ideas in my own self portraits. Dressing in a bustier in one drawing (channeling the glamour of Marilyn) and then drawing my reflection in a shattered mirror.

So think about what draws you to the things you love and that inspire you. What motivates your creativity? 
Write it down. Share it. Post it.



Comments