Shopclass as Soulcraft

My life as a plumber... I have recently come to think of myself as a "materials artist" so the thoughts that the author proposes about the synergy between our relationship to the material world and how it affects our relationship to the human world intrigues me. If we can go through our life, as the author suggest is beginning to be the case, without ever acknowledging the hands and materials that our world is made of how can we ever develop a sense of gratitude. As a home owner and artist I am constantly engaged with the materials my house is made of and its systems in a very conscious way. I currently have a leaky tub and shower faucet. This drives me CRAZY. I have attempted to fix it several times and the only reason I can't is because the "assembly"(that's plumber speak) is made "overseas" and the distributor does not carry replacement parts. I have looked at all available local plumbing supplies and they do not have the parts either. REALLY, someone manufactured this thing, designed it to fill my need for bathing and showering but it was not enabled by the humans who distribute it to be fixed so it can continue performing it's intended function.
My understanding and consciousness of my material world could not be keener at this moment and it has caused my relationship to the human world to be supremely frustrated and utterly disappointed. Why wouldn't "people" want me, a person, to be self sufficient? Hmm let me think for a millisecond, MONEY. Yes it of course comes down to the evil bottom line. Rather than creating a useful object that a resourceful human could fix when it breaks, those "people" have decided that they prefer to expect me to pay them or someone else another large chunk of money for a new one. Rather than having pride in their product and offering a durable well-made faucet that they expect me to pay them or someone else another large chunk of money for a new one.
Because I am a conscientious consumer I have looked for another supplier, because I would prefer to give my money to a business with some sort of integrity. I have found another supplier but they also do not offer replacement or repair parts. So now they have me over a barrel, so to speak. I would consider paying twice the price for a replacement from a company that would support it's own product by offering a way to repair it.
What I have learned about the "human world" is that it is continuing to evolve into a place of disposable materials. Unfortunately these materials can't just be thrown "away," as we are all too aware there is no "away." So now I must also find a place that can responsibly recycle this chrome plated brass fixture and once I receive my new fixture, spend most of my Saturday morning  or afternoon installing it. I have found through my intimate relationship to the material world that the human world is largely oblivious to the needs and frustrations of those who must work with the material world. This obliviousness includes but is not limited to the irresponsible attitude of the manufacturers of the stuff those in the trades rely on. But that being said I would still choose to be a plumber...

 

Comments